Saturday 12 March 2011

Cat

I was an evening commuter, returning home on familiar B roads through twilight fields and villages. The sky was a powdery dark blue and the buildings in S_ sank back from the road in the gloom. Hedges blurred out as I drove past them and the pale pastel rendering on walls became matt, subdued and damp.
Streetlights flickered on orange then yellowish white. The beacons for the crossing flashed a dull orange. The speed sensitive sign had a single spark of red lit up, but didn't flash a warning.
Suddenly, something white on the road flapped, feathers or fur blurred and made a soft sound against the windscreen. Did I see paws? In the mirror a tiny scene of destruction shrank into the distance. I felt nothing and continued. Rising over a hill I was caught up by some flashing lights, blue and red. I pulled over.

No comments:

Post a Comment